Village of Warren Information
The Village of Warren is located on the Stagecoach Trail and State Highway 78 in Jo Daviess County, Illinois. It’s current population is 1428.
Warren was founded in 1843 by Alexander Burnett.
Warren had the honor of having the first female mayor in the State of Illinois. Rose Canfield was Mayor from 1916 to 1920.
Abner Dalrymple, professional baseball player for the Chicago White Stockings, lived in Warren in the late eighteen hundreds and is buried at Elmwood Cemetery in Warren.
Warren has several historic buildings:
One is the Warren Community Building was built in 1853, and was an original stagecoach stop. The building is on the National Historic Register and is currently being used for various community activities.
The Warren Township Library is an Andrew Carnegie library and was built in 1911.
The Warren Historic Society is housed in the old waterworks, old jail building. It currently houses many artifacts from our community including a Civil War Cannon on the site. The Museum is open to the public several times throughout the year.
Warren’s downtown district is on the National Historic Registry.
Warren has an excellent school district having just completed an eight million dollar renovation.
Warren’s Park District is on the 90th principal meridian. The park is used for swimming, tennis, picnics and other activities for young and old alike.
Warren’s industry is Carter Motor Co. They employ a number of local residents, as well as people form outside of Warren.
Warren is home of several churches including
- St. Ann’s Catholic Church
- Warren United Methodist Church
- St. Paul’s Lutheran Church
- Warren Baptist Church
The are several annual events throughout the year.
- The Pumpkin Festival held the last full weekend in September
- Jo Daviess County Fair
- Warren Chamber golf outing
- The “Bob” charity golf outing
- The downtown Christmas Walk
- Town garage sales in June
Warren’s current projects include Sanitary Sewer Improvements and refurbishing Well #4 and the installation of new radio-read water meters throughout the entire village.